Subject: X question
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/1999 00:54:44
Hi!

Recently I had a problem with xarchon, when I tried to start a new
game, it quit and showed:
canvas_font_load():  cannot load font `-misc-fixed-medium-*-normal-*-15-0-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1'

xlsfonts showed a fitting font, though:
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso8859-1

The error proved to be the following line in my .xinitrc:
xset +fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/intlfonts

which I had added for pkg/intlfonts, but then I had removed the fonts
again, but forgotten about the xset. So, every time I started X, I got:

xset:  bad font path element (#70), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

I don't understand X's behaviour in this case. Does it trash the whole
font path because of the wrong directory? If that is so, why did
xlsfonts show the font? Or should I have added another xset line, e.g.
`xset fp rehash`?

Bye,
 Thomas

--