Subject: Re: bzip2 data corruption
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1999 07:24:00
   Interesting thought, but it'd be pretty broken if it did that.
Just to be safe, though, I tried it without -v and got the same
thing.

					Gary D. Duzan

In Message <Pine.WNT.4.20.9911020707070.282-100000@j_lindgren.net.slk.com> ,
   Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com> wrote:

=>On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Gary Duzan wrote:
=>
=>>
=>>    I can get the following error reliably:
=>>
=>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
=>> wheel { ~gary/restored } # tar cvf - users/gary/News | bzip2 -v | bunzip2 -
tvv
=>>   (stdin):   (stdin): users/gary/News/
=>
=>[snip]
=>
=>What about removing the "-v" from the bzip2?  My first guess is that the
=>verbose output is being shoved into the data stream, and is corrupting the
=>output.
=>
=>i.e. try "tar cvf - users/gary/News | bzip2 | bunzip2 -tvv"
=>
=>-Jon Lindgren
=> "Now new and improved!  No markup!  Hypoalergenic!"
=>
=>