Subject: Re: USB scanners?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1999 15:44:05
On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 04:38:18PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> I've been thinking of buying a scanner (yeah, for maybe 10 years now ;-) and
> I saw a HP ScanJet 4100C (with USB interface) in a shop today.  I disklike
> parallel port scanners and I think SCSI bus is a bit more critical when
> long cables are used, so USB sounds like a good solution.  But - does NetBSD
> support such devices?  I would like to run 1.4.1 on i386, but I guess I can
> install -current on one machine if required.

I don't know of any USB scanners that use class drivers, so unless
you can convince some vendor to give you programming documentation,
you are out of luck for the time being.

> (I'd also like to know whether IDE CD-RW drives (like HP 8210i, 8100i, and
> 7570i) work with NetBSD.. saw those, too ;-)

Again, you really want SCSI :-), but ATAPI CD-RW drives also work
with NetBSD using pkgsrc/sysutils/cdrecord-current .

--
Soren