Subject: Re: Modem Board recommendations for NetBSD - i386
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1999 00:37:30
On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 12:29:22AM -0400, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon writes:
> >
> > That's the place.  IIRC they're on 5th, not Howard.
> > http://www.centralcomputer.com.  From the web site, it looks like the
> > board I saw *might* be the Addonics 8-port, but it's probably worth
> > calling to make 100% sure the board has 16650s on it.  They also list
> > a PCI dual-16650 card, but with four or at most five PCI slots in most
> > machines you won't get enough port density that way (and you'll pay
> > a lot of money, too...).
>
> SIIG lists a "Quartet" board, available in ISA or PCI, that has 4
> 16850s.  I didn't find it via pricewatch though.  I did see their
> cyper dual (2x16650) for about $65.

Oh, boy.  What's a 16850, and who makes it?  The 16750 (TI) looked
like as nice a part as the 16650 (Startech) but was never widely adopted
and we don't have driver support for it except in 16550 compatibility
mode.  Is the 16850 made by TI, Startech, or someone else entirely?

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"