Subject: Re: Modem Board recommendations for NetBSD - i386
To: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/1999 23:58:47
On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 09:49:15PM -0500, John C. Hayward wrote:
> We are replacing our DEC terminal servers and Ultix machine with a NetBSD
> box.  The terminal server is connected to modems.  What have people had
> good luck with relative modem or serial boards which have 4, 8 or 16
> ports?

Try to find one that uses one of the multi-port 16650 chips.  They have
up to 64 bytes of FIFO per channel and RTS/CTS flow control in hardware;
this takes a *lot* of load off the CPU by reducing the number of interrupts
generated, and also eliminates the possibility of dropped characters.

I saw one generic board like this at a computer store in downtown
San Francisco, right next to the Moscone Center... unfortunately I
can't recall the name, because they do mail-order, too.  I'll forward
this to some of my former cow-orkers and see if anyone else can
A) remind me of the name of the store and B) drop by and check if they
still have any of these cards or can get more.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"