Subject: How to identify NetBSD ELF kernel?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Roskin <pavel_roskin@geocities.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/1999 16:52:40
Hello!

I'm working on GNU GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader,
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html)

I have recently fixed a bug that prevented NetBSD-1.4.1 from booting by
GNU GRUB.
The next step will be to support NetBSD ELF kernels.

The problem is that different ELF kernels require different boot
parameters, so GRUB needs to identify what kind of kernel it is dealing
with.

FreeBSD ELF has characters "FreeBSD" at the bytes 0x08-0x0e of every ELF
file. I don't want to assume that every ELF file without such "branding"
is a NetBSD kernel.

How do I identify NetBSD ELF executables and NetBSD ELF kernels in
particular?

Please answer personally, as I'm not subscribed to the list.
Thanks in advance.

Pavel Roskin