Subject: Re: Problems with wd0 on a laptop with current 19991003
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/1999 07:18:31
On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:19:38PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:

> Peoples,
>         Over the weekend I took the brave step and updated my laptop
> to -current as of about 3rd Oct.  After I did this I have experienced
> some lockups on the machine which look like they are related to the wd
> driver.  On the console I get a message something like (I am relying
> on memory here):
>
> wd(0:0:0): missing untimeout

Actually I saw this on a desktop machine yesterday. I played with
atactl to put the disk to sleep/standby mode, and -sometimes- this would
give the above mentioned behaviour, but most of the time it would
work. My (limited) experience is that if if it does not hang on the first
atactl wd1 standby, it would continue working.

I have no idea whether this is a new problem, as this is my first
attempt to control disk spin-down with NetBSD/i386 (current as of
Thursday last week). With this machine the noise level decreases
significantly when the disks are spun down :-)

- Erik Bertelsen