Subject: Re: backup media
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/1999 13:38:13
On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 08:50:27AM +0200, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:

> The short answer is get a DLT drive if you can afford it.

Does TK50 count?  ;)

> DDS-n is cheap, especially the media, and has decent capacity, but it
> just doesn't compare to QIC or DLT in terms of reliability.

I have a bunch of 8mm tapes written on an exabyte 8200 that I can no
longer read because the tape drive is out of whack...  :(  I'm guessing
that the newer exabyte (mammoth?) drives are probably much more
reliable, but my experiences with 8mm have all been pretty bad.

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
   "I really admire your perverse mastery of the SPARC branch delay slot,
      Dave.  Or is it your mastery of the perverse branch delay slot?"
	          -- Joe Martin to Dave S. Miller on linux-kernel