Subject: Re: web browsers
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1999 16:20:12
[ On Friday, September 24, 1999 at 10:06:34 (-0700), Jeff Rizzo wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: web browsers
>
> There's also w3, which runs under xemacs...

... and "arena" which works amazingly well as a modern HTML browser
(well HTML3.0 and partial CSS1) once you remember to double-click to
visit a link!  ;-)

Unfortunately and surprisingly the pkgsrc entry has fallen behind a
bit...  0.3.62 was released Nov. 25, 1998.  I'd supply an update but
I've not updated my local copy yet either! ;-)

Even more unfortunately the Yggdrasil folks apparently haven't been
working on it since late 1998....

There's also "grail", the Python browser, but it seems to have stagnated
rather badly too.

In addition you'll find "amaya", also wildly out of date. (now 2.1)

If you want to run under Java there's "hotjava", and "linemode" which is
the W3C "LineMode" browser; but you'll have to ``port'' those from the
FreeBSD Ports collection.

Un-ported to *BSD (so far as I know) are Mnemonic, Plume, and Arachne.
See <URL:http://www.browser.org/>.

--
							Greg A. Woods