Subject: Re: ipfilter performance with 'count' rules on NetBSD-1.4/i386
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Erik Rungi <blackbox@openface.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1999 17:04:54
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, David Maxwell wrote:

> Additionally, you specifically stated that you didn't use 'quick' in
> any of the rules. Would you mind running the test with quick on all
> the rules? Depending on the distibution of destination, it should cut
> the workload in half. If the addresses for your rules don't overlap,
> you could then optimize the most used rules to the top of the list.

In the case of optimization, you have to keep track of hits, but I'm sure it
could be done.  It would would be nice if the kernel could do this.

> If you have rules that do overlap subnets, you could generate the
> total by adding the smaller networks at 'stats' time. (Assuming you
> aren't collecting for a portion of a subnet, and the whole net,
> but not another portion - if so, change the whole subnet one to collect
> the other portion with a quick rule, and sum the counts later.)

In my case I'm adding up individual IPs.  With this case it has also been
suggested that I break the rules down using the HEAD/GROUP keywords which
could bring the processing time down by a factor of LOG(N) in theory.  In this
case, optimization wouldn't really work (same time to get to the bottom of the
tree in any case).  But the configuration file would be soooo ugly.

In either case the configuration of IPF becomes considerably more complex in
my opinion.

Erik