Subject: Re: AnonCVS primer?
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1999 12:32:50
On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Paul Goyette wrote:

> 1. Convert my existing sup-based -current source tree to anoncvs
> 	o Do I have to check out the entire anoncvs tree, or is
> 	  there a (relatively) easy way to convert existing tree?

There seems to be no easy way. If you're really averse to checking out
the whole tree, you could perhaps use rsync in some creative way to
get the CVS directories.

> 	o What is the anoncvs equivalent to sup's collections,
> 	  and which one(s) are available?

This was written with cvs in mind, but the modules are the same.

http://www.netbsd.org/developers/cvs-repos/modules.html

> 2. Regularly update my local tree to sync it with -current on the
>    server
> 	o What tags exist in the anoncvs tree?  Which one(s) do I
> 	  need to specify?  How do I know when new tags are added?

You don't need any tags for -current. The tags likely to be used are
'-A' or no tag, '-rnetbsd-1-4' (release), 'rnetbsd-1-4-PATCH0001'
(1.4.1), -rnetbsd-1-5' (someday). Once you get a tree, you can see
what tags are on any particular file with "cvs status file".

> 3. Maintain a small set of local patches (my Mac68k SLOTMAN kernel)
>    and get changes to the "official" sources propagated into my
>    local stuff, preferably automatically (currently, I have to do
>    this manually).
> 	o Can this be done automatically?

That's the whole idea. Unfortunately, that feature of anoncvs appears
to be broken for now. Until that's fixed, anoncvs isn't very
compelling. At least sup leaves most of your files alone.

> 	o Any suggestions on using anoncvs to (help) keep /etc stuff
> 	  up to date?  Like when new sections get added to /etc/rc
> 	  and/or /etc/rc.conf for example...

Sounds scary! I would continue to diff against /usr/src/etc from time
to time.