Subject: Re: SCSI automagic detection...
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1999 14:39:27
On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

# On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 12:25:59PM -0700, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:
# > Actually, all things considered, I'm quite amazed that my sun is
# > running something *besides* SunOS.  Kudos to *everyone* that has helped
# > NetBSD get where it is now.
#
# Uh, I've done sort of this (with tapes instead of disks) with SunOS, and you
# had to have it powered on at boot time, and could switch it off afterwards,
# to only switch it on before you really needed it.

Funny.  I've been able to drop on a device after the machine had come
up, and then probed it (format, mount, etc) to see the kernel print:

sd2 at esp0 target 2 lun 0
sd2: ncyl 1614 acyl 2 hd 15 sec 54 <MICROP, 1588-15MBSUN0669, SN0C>

# In NetBSD; we have "scsictl reprobe" to detect newly-appearing devices.

...scsictl scsibus0 scan any any?

I wonder what it'd take to tell it to summarise what it finds on the
bus in the case that dmesg output has expired from the logs.

# 	-is
				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:
	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side