Subject: SCSI automagic detection...
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1999 12:25:59
Saw something about handling unplugged disks, &c.

Do we support hot-plugging in general?  I.e., if you have a disk that's
powered down at boot time, say sd2, any accesses will come back with

	sd2: Device not configured

...but if you power it up and try again, the kernel will conf it in?  Kind
of a la SunOS.  This was one of those things about SunOS that I actually
liked.

Similarly, if the device had been there previously and then went offline,
the next access would cause it to eventually (15-60 seconds) report

	sd2: offline

...does this work (yet)?  Do we ever intend to support it?

Actually, all things considered, I'm quite amazed that my sun is
running something *besides* SunOS.  Kudos to *everyone* that has helped
NetBSD get where it is now.

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:
	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side