Subject: Re: fortune makefiles incorrect ?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/1999 09:58:54
cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou) writes:
> yup.  it might well be OK to have a small portability library that
> copes with some of the more commonplace non-standard functions
> (e.g. err/warn), just as e.g. the toolchain has libiberty.  however,
> it should be fairly obvious how to bootstrap the whole thing, and
> requiring a zoularis-like environment is just Too Much.

Zoularis is actually not very heavyweight EXCEPT for one thing: there
are ugly hacks in place to deal with the __progname hack. It turns out
that doing __progname portably is very hard indeed.

If someone could come up with a better hack for dealing with
__progname well, we could have our portability library work much more
smoothly.

Perry
state: Exp; lines: +1 -2 Shouldn't use NOMAN here. We have a man page, even if we don't bother to install the program anyway. Simon.