Subject: Re: fortune makefiles incorrect ?
To: matthew green <mrg@towers-of-dub.eterna.com.au>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/1999 17:14:04
matthew green <mrg@towers-of-dub.eterna.com.au> writes:
> the reason builds for <sys/endian.h> failed to build lately is that
> two of the games have helpers that are built with ${HOST_CC} rather
> than ${CC} and also were changed to include <sys/endian.h> -- but
> the host compiler won't have a <sys/endian.h> yet [ ... ]

Of course, if the goal here is to actually support cross-compiling in
the general sense -- which it should be, in my opinion -- then it's
silly to assume that the host system will ever include a
<sys/endian.h> or lots of other NetBSD-specific features.

Cross-compiling NetBSD-NetBSD is all well and good, but it's not
nearly so useful as letting NetBSD be cross-compiled from random
hosts.  _That's_ what we should be shooting for.

cgd