Subject: Re: is ANYONE running multiple vga cards right now.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/1999 00:16:37
Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com> writes:
> There's a reason the i386 GENERIC config file does it like this:
>
> 	vga0 at isa?
> 	vga* at pci? device ? function ?
>
> You get one ISA card, but as many PCI/AGP cards as you have slots for.

there's a reason (or was), but it's not the one you'd like.  the
reason is that historically the NetBSD VGA ISA attachment hasn't been
smart enough to cope with cloning devices, or at least, it wasn't
smart enough on x86.

All of the comments re: PCI VGA using the historical mappings are
correct.  I was _hoping_ to find something in the dmesg output that
was sent to me that would give me some common thread on which to build
something relatively generic that could help you out.  However,
looking at the PCI cards' BARs, it doesn't look like there's going to
be anything easy.  *sigh*  Sorry.

cgd