Subject: Re: Can AnonCVS be used with ppp connection?
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1999 13:52:23
On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:

> I tried to use SUP to update source by dial-up but it always fail.
> It seems that SUP eat band width too much.
> So have any modem user ever used AnonCVS to update source?

Yes, for small pieces, but not for the whole thing. That is one of the
advantages of *CVS. The thing is, though, it probably uses _even_
_more_ bandwidth than sup.

> If it can, I have another question.
> How to use previous SUP's source with AnonCVS?

Don't think so. You need the CVS directories, which are only obtained
by *cvs or by downloading tarballs.

> I have already got all source by ethernet and I don't want to
> redownload them again. :)

I've been supping over modem for a long time, to a Mac with it's lousy
Zilog 3-byte buffer serial controller. The first sup is the most
difficult; except during times of major churn, the subsequent ones go
much easier.

I find it easier on the Mac to sup in pieces, i.e. instead of allsrc,
sup all of "games", "gnu", "ksrc-common", "ksrc-i386" (for browsing),
"ksrc-mac68k", "regress", and "src". This way, an aborted transfer
doesn't force me to start over completely.

If you do that on top of an "allsrc" sup, you'll be left with files in
your tree that were deleted from the repository in the intervening
period. If the window is small, you might be able to fix it by hand
using the daily "CVS Update" messages mailed to current-users,
assuming you've saved it. Otherwise, you can "diff" a "find" over your
source tree with "cat /usr/sup/current/last.*|sort", (after moving
/usr/sup/current/last.allsrc out of the way), and see what shakes out.