Subject: Re: is ANYONE running multiple vga cards right now.
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1999 19:53:47
>   Yes, but you see, video cards are allowed to break the PCI spec. Or,
> rather the spec has an exception for them. They get to map themselves into
> stock ISA VGA address memory as well as getting PCI address space assigned.
>   This is so that the system can boot, etc. and have video etc. without
> a PnP aware OS --- e.g. DOS, Win3.11, OS/2.

(cue shower music from Psycho)

... which means that if the video card vendor takes the cheap way out and
relies on that compatibility code to reuse their ISA boot rom, I'm screwed.

Okay (barf) it looks like the worst case is that we (read: me, unless I can
get some of the OpenBIOS guys interested) have to reverse-engineer the init
code from each video card's boot rom, and make it available to the vga driver
somehow.

I'm not above doing this for a few different brands of cards, it just means
I need to be more careful about getting many cards of the same type. It's
more work than I originally planned on of course.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com