Subject: Re: Suggestion for ftp site...
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1999 15:20:58
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 seebs@plethora.net wrote:

> In message <199908272127.OAA28431@quatre.pa.dec.com>, Hal Murray writes:
> >The top of my wish list would be to snapshot the sources whenever
> >somebody makes a binary snapshot.
>
> I wouldn't mind that at all.

	Using anoncvs you should be able to pull down a copy set to the
	exact date of a snapshot. Assuming that information is included
	in the snapshot.

> >I've got a good network connection so big tar files are fine for
> >me.
>
> I don't have that much bandwidth, but in any event, if we could remove
> about 40% of the load from
> 	get i386.tar
> by nuking those 'splits' files, and 'boot.fs.gz' things, it'd improve the
> response of the ftp site for everyone.

	Hmmm - the boot.fs.gz images are less of an issue, but it _would_
	be nice if someone could come up with a mod to ftpd that would
	automatically generate split sets on demand. That would save disk
	space and time for admin,s plus allow any file to have split
	sets as needed.

	Of course, a small DOS program to perform the split would also
	be handy - any volunteers?

> It's taken me several hours to start grabbing the 1.4.1 distribution sets.
> (Of course, it doesn't help that, these days, I want alpha, i386, macppc,
> mac68k, and sparc.)
>
> Hey, is anyone doing CD's of NetBSD releases these days?

	http://www.netbsd.org/Sites/cdroms.html

	CheapBytes has 1.4 for i386 (USA/Canada) and Bob Nestor produces
	just about any given release on demand.

		David/absolute

                  -=-  Trust is a non-renewable resource  -=-