Subject: Re: tunefs/newfs defaults
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/1999 10:33:56
On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:06:32 -0500
 seebs@plethora.net wrote:

 > Hmm.  Speaking of tunefs, was anyone working on integrating soft updates?
 > I know they've been integrated in FreeBSD and BSD/OS, so they must be at
 > least *possible* to integrate...

Frank van der Linden was integrating them.  But at the time he was doing
the work, some other FFS changes were also happening, like the byte-swapping
stuff in FFS (so you can read SPARC FFSs on an Alpha, for example).  So,
because he didn't have time to update the soft-updates stuff for those
changes, they didn't get integrated.

There's also the issue that the actual soft-updates code had some pretty
serious bugs in it, and I'm not sure Frank actually has the lastest
sanctioned version of that code from Kirk.

Anyhow, you're right... someone ought to pick up the ball and run with it
if Frank doesn't have time to.