Subject: Re: NetBSD-current could not link (+fix)
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/1999 06:29:59
On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> I just downloaded the last NetBSD-current + `configure' and builded a new
> kernel on it. I just untarred the new sources over the old kernel-tree
> (yeah, I know!).
>
> Due to some *wierd* sup fault, my sourcetree just wasn't up to date even
> if I just sup-ed!. Any Ideas?

When you do a sup with "old delete", it will not delete files that
weren't listed in /usr/sup/current/last.allsrc. Otherwise sup would
routinely blow away all of your kernel configs, package distfiles,
backups, objects and so on.

One solution: you could run "cd /usr; find src | sort | diff -U0 -
/usr/sup/current/last.allsrc" after sup'ing to see what got missed.
Another possibility is to use find to _generate_ last.allsrc, edit out
anything you really want to keep, and then do a 'sup -do'.

Of course if you sup exclusively, this is not a problem.