Subject: Re: delete and backspace...
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/1999 19:36:00
    Roger> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Michael C. Richardson wrote:

    >>  Can we extend the solution and put *two* "delete" characters into the
    >> tty drivers?

    Roger> Not a bad idea - after all, termios has had an alternate EOL
    Roger> character for ages.

    Roger> However, if you use ksh for your login shell and have everything
    Roger> which does record-oriented tty reads linked to use readline most
    Roger> of the problems with DEL vs BS as the erase char magically go
    Roger> away.  :-)

  Yes that's right. Linux is like this. They DEL/BS problem never occurs,
because, frankly, they never use cooked mode. You discover how bad your
tty settings are when you use, for instance, command line FTP.
  For instance, for some reason, someone thinks that "echoptr" is a good
default, and I have no clue how to change this on Penguin systems, and
nobody cares, because they always use readline.

   :!mcr!:            |  Cow#1: Are you worried about getting Mad Cow Disease?
   Michael Richardson |  Cow#2: No. I'm a duck.
 Home: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.