Subject: libterm has been updated.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/15/1999 20:46:35
Folks,
        A while back there was a brief discussion about updating the
interface to the termcap library to remove some of the limitations of
termcap (most notably the 1024 byte limit on termcap entries).  In the
end Christos suggested an updated interface that made a lot of sense.
I took that suggestion, implemented it and haved just checked it in.
The new interface allows you to have more than one termcap entry in
use at one time (I still have trouble imagining this but I have been
told it's handy ;-) by virtue of the fact that when you call t_getent
you are returned an opaque object pointer to the termcap data - this
object is then passed to all subsequent termcap calls.  The new api is
now safer as bounds can be applied to the buffers the calls write
into.  As a final bonus the 1024 byte limit no longer applies on the
legacy calls (tget*), this has been done in a backwardly compatiable
manner so code using the old calls need not be changed.