Subject: Re: delete and backspace...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/1999 17:06:39
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Ted Lemon wrote:

#
# > [I'm one of those weird 80x24 glass TTY types who actually uses Ctrl+H
# > as BackSpace (and Ctrl+I as TAB) because I know precisely where the
# > damned Control key is more often than I know where the BackSpace key
# > is (never used Ctrl+[ for ESC, though, for some reason -- maybe it's
# > because H and I are more centrally located)...]
#
# This seems like an extreme reaction.   If you really care this deeply,
# why not bring your own personal computer with you everywhere, and map
# the keys the way you like?   You can get a pretty decent laptop for
# $1k these days...

I'd love to.  It'd guarantee me that I'd be running NetBSD no matter
which network I plugged into :-).

On the subject of extreme, why so?  I mean, some habits die really
hard when you 'grow up' on text-based terminals attached to a time-sharing
multi-user system.  I don't see this as extreme at all.  Extreme would be
something like:

	stty: unknown keyword erase

Now THAT'S extreme!

#