Subject: rnd, console debugger
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/1999 02:03:45
While testing the new pciide code, I landed in the console debugger
with the following error:

  pool_get: rndsample: curpage NULL, nitems 7
  panic: pool_get: nitems inconsistent

I've seen a few messages go past indicating that option rnd is associated
with obscure bugs so I rebuilt the kernel without rnd.  I haven't
had any strange problems since then.

Can anybody give me a summary of the rnd problems?  Did I just skim
through the critical message?

Is the problem well understood?  Anybody interested in a dump?  I've
got one from the above panic on 1.4 with the new pciide.  If so,
tell me what to type or...

------

Before I rebuilt the kernel, I tried again.  That time I got a page
fault or something similar.  I think the message indicated in came
from something that was probably related to rnd.  I didn't write
it down expecting the info to get preserved via a core dump.

I typed "continue" to the console debugger.  It gave me the message
again.  After a few tries, I tried "reboot".  That got me going again,
but I didn't get a dump.

Is there a FAQ or man page for the console debugger?  (Is that even
the right term?)  If so, how should I have found it?

Is there some command I missed to reboot with a dump?