To: None <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/1999 16:10:50
>> (1) is there a searchable index of the netbsd mailing lists anywhere?
>> i'd like to search for the steps involved in adding a new system call
>> to my kernel...
>
>Try
>
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/mlist/

doesn't search too well for me.  it pauses for a while, and then gives
back no data.

>> (2) now that i've figured it out, is there anything about this on the
>> netbsd website anywhere?  something detailing the steps involved so
>> that one doesn't have to experience the low-level panic i did at
>> installing a non-functioning libc.so on a machine three miles away
>> while i was ssh'ed in.  (i managed to find a working one, but i was a
>> little anxious for a few minutes there :).  if not...perhaps i could
>> write a little something and get it posted?
>
>Sorry - I don't know.

something more than

   http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/programming.html#adding_a_system_call

   Add an entry in syscalls.master, and add the syscall stub to the
   appropriate place in /usr/src/lib/libc/sys/Makefile.inc.

would be very helpful.  something more like:

 (1) add an entry to syscalls.master
 (2) make "make init_sysent.c" in /usr/src/sys/kern
 (3) copy the new syscall.h and syscallargs.h headers from
     /usr/src/sys/sys to /usr/include/sys
 (4) add the syscall stub to /usr/src/lib/libc/sys/Makefile.inc
 (5) add your syscall code to the "appropriate" file in
     /usr/src/sys/kern (would it go anywhere else?)
 (6) build and install a new kernel
 (7) reboot single user
 (8) build and install a new libc set
 (9) (re)boot multi-user

would be much better, imho, with more detailed notes on what each step
actually accomplishes.  for example, parts 7-9 can be re-arranged (or
skipped, in the case of booting single user) at the possible cost of
some stability.  no?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|