Subject: Re: 'make depend' vs. 'make prereqs' or something else
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1999 14:34:55
On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Peter Seebach wrote:

: I am really frustrated by the fact that some parts of the build process
: seem to require a 'make depend' or some other pass before they work.

This shouldn't be the case.  If you run into some case where it is, please
post a PR.

: Especially now that I'm building on 2 platforms, and I sometimes need to
: manually strip '.depend' files before I can get anything to compile.

You should never share a build directory between platforms without one of
the following two conditions (you don't need to do both):

- using objdirs with OBJMACHINE set in mk.conf
- running "make cleandir" from the *top level* before building *anything*

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)