Subject: 'make depend' vs. 'make prereqs' or something else
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1999 12:59:13
I am really frustrated by the fact that some parts of the build process
seem to require a 'make depend' or some other pass before they work.
Especially now that I'm building on 2 platforms, and I sometimes need to
manually strip '.depend' files before I can get anything to compile.

Could we invent a new name for this pass, if it really has to exist?  I'd
rather it just be handled by the normal build process; if a given target
depends on a prereq, the prereq should be built if it isn't present during
a regular make, you shouldn't need another pass to do it.

Or is this only biting me?

-s