Subject: System rebooting
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: D'Arcy" "J.M. <darcy@druid.druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1999 08:23:00
I have discussed this problem before.  A system running NetBSD rebooting
for no apparent reason.  It appeared to be a resource overuse thing so
I set up a second machine and moved the web server, database server and
Radius server over to it.  Not the problem is happening on the new machine.
I have put the latest NetBSD on the new machine.  I find it hard to imagine
such a bad bug in Apache, Radius or PostgreSQL.  I built all of them from
pkgsrc.

I have been running a backtrace on the kernel core file.  Here is a sample
of the output I have been getting.  As you can see, the error always
seems to occur near the same address.  Is this a clue?  Is there some
way to find out which process is using that memory?  I looked at things
like top, ps and vmstat but nothing seems to tell me that.

One thing that strikes me is that the address is awfully close to the 65MB
that I have installed.  Is that possibly the problem?  I have 256MB of
swap.  Swapctl shows 4k used as I look at it.  Is there some way to test
the swap device?

Aug  1 12:10
can not access 0xefbfb910, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xefbfb910, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xefbfb910.

Aug  1 14:15
can not access 0xefbfd964, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xefbfd964, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xefbfd964.

Aug  1 16:50
can not access 0xefbfdb98, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xefbfdb98, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xefbfdb98.

Aug  2 09:17
can not access 0xefbfb9e4, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xefbfb9e4, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xefbfb9e4.

Aug  2 10:26
can not access 0xefbfdb98, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xefbfdb98, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xefbfdb98.

Aug  2 10:58
can not access 0xefbfda0c, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xefbfda0c, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xefbfda0c.

Aug  2 13:58