Subject: Re: IPv6 local link address mystery?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1999 08:32:00

>> 	Maybe we'll need to put a hack into ifconfig(8) to print decoded
>> 	version (like printing "fe80::wwww:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz on de0") rather
>> 	than the raw data from the kernel.  From normal users perspetive
>> 	it may be better.
>Perhaps, but from everything else it really sucks.  I'd have to fix
>gated, netstat, and any of an hundred other programs not to simply
>scan the interfaces and select addresses based on what is found there.

	If you need to handle link-local addresses in any application,
	you have no choice than having some special code (RFC2292 advanced
	api for selecting interface) anyway.  You have no choice
	than updating those applications.
	(other IPv6 kernels do probabilistic way to determine outgoing
	interface, which IMHO REALLY sucks also they are not spec conformant.
	They have very bad failure mode).

	From my understanding link-local addresses are cleary NOT for daily
	use.  They are more like MAC address than normal IPv4 addresses.

itojun