Subject: Re: PCMCIA/Compact Flash
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1999 23:30:49
In message <19990729000757.A14144@rek.tjls.com>, Thor Lancelot Simon writes:
>These cards act like either IDE drives -- when inserted into an adapter
>wired for that mode, that plugs directly into your machine's IDE controller --
>or IDE controllers, when you put them in a PCMCIA slot.

I've seen the former, but the latter is the only sort practical for my
notebook.   ;-)

>I use only genuine SanDisk brand cards.  Almost everything else is
>just a relabelled Hitachi card, and those are hideously buggy, particularly
>in "drive" mode.  They're almost useful only as data-scramblers.  You can
>get the SanDisk cards from buy.com at a pretty good price.

I had to make a personal phone call to Exodus's abuse desk to get buy.com
to stop spamming a coworker; actually, then I had to send another complaint
the week after that.  It took about two months to get them to stop.

Anyway, I've got a variety of these cards that seem to work just peachy with
my Psion, and apparently okay with my camera...  But I don't know how to
interact with one on a system where I actually need to know a filesystem type
to talk to it.

-s