Subject: Fast Ethernet for NetBSD ... which card? Here's a good one!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1999 18:12:41
Hi folks...

It is often asked - What is a good Fast Ethernet card for use with
NetBSD?

Well, ever since the bug in the EPIC/100 Fast Ethernet driver which
caused lots of "device timeout" errors was fixed, the "epic" driver
works quite well with SMC's 9432TX card.  It's the main network interface
on my main server now, and is performing quite well.  Newer revs of the
card have also fixed the clock source problem of the early chips.

I'm now of the opinion that is is a very nice Fast Ethernet product,
and it comes from a vendor which has made pretty good stuff in the
past;  SMC isn't a fly-by-night chip manufacturer, like many of the
current Fast Ethernet chip/card vendors these days.

In case you're curious where you can purchase such a card, take a look
at:

	http://smc.com/pages2/resellerw.html

There are a number of places listed where you can buy these cards on-line.
The first one I checked, Techstore, had them for $59.  They have lower
prices for bulk purchases.

Anyhow, figured this information would be useful.

	-- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@netbsd.org>