Subject: Re: Can't fetch a file -- weird byte patterns?
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1999 13:04:38
On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 08:50:44AM -0600, Chris Jones wrote:
> Interesting; I can't seem to fetch boot-unstr2.fs from
> NetBSD-1.4/i386/installation/floppies on the FTP site.  Has anybody
> else run into this?  It stops about 300 bytes from the end of the
> file.  My hunch would be that, somewhere between there and here (here
> == avicom.net, via Cable & Wireless), there's a router that's puking
> on a particular byte pattern.  I can grab the .gz version of the file
> without any trouble.
>
> Not having run into one of these before, does anybody have any advice
> on figuring out where the problem lies?

Do a tcpdump, and confirm that it is the same segment that is
being dropped each time. Try retrieving the same file from a mirror
site, and see if it fails also, if yes, eliminate routers past the
point where the two traceroutes diverge. If no, eliminate routers
before the traceroutes diverge.

If it's a yes, try putting the file on another server that you have to
go through the same routers to get to, and test there.

Just by the odds, it's likely that it's somewhere closer to your
network, or other people would have mentioned it before now.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,