Subject: Re: Max filesystem size
To: None <francus@metsny.yossi.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1999 22:35:01
On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 10:53:25AM -0400, francus@metsny.yossi.com wrote:

> What is the current maximum size for a filesystem on NetBSD1.4/pmax.
> If I get a 4GB or 9GB disk can I create filesystems that are 4 or 9G?

The BSD filesystem itself can be 2^31 * file system fragment size.
Default seems to be 1k/8k filesystems, so we get 2^41 bytes of file system
size.

However, your partition table has to provide a partition big enough for this.

The maximum partition table size is 2^32 * disk block size. With the only
(currently) disk block size currently supported in NetBSD (512), you magically
get the same value of 2^41 bytes.

Thats 2048 GBytes, or 2199 Marketing-Gigabytes.

Regards,
	-is