Subject: RE: Conner minicartridge tape drive - quirky drive
To: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1999 08:20:29
At 20:13 Uhr +0200 22.07.1999, Stephen Brown wrote:

>st0: density code 0x29, 512-byte blocks, write-enabled

Interesting... According to QIC 95-101 (http://www.qic.org) 0x28 - 0x2F are
unassigned. According to the "SCSI 3 streaming device commands" working
draft, there is an entry for 0x29 but no density information.

>   The only real difference is that the debugging output delays the
>   mode sense until after the drive has time to reseat the tape.
>
>   This does leave me with a big question though.  What exactly
>   does a density code of 0x29 mean?  That one's not defined in
>   the SCSI2 specification.  It must be a vendor-specific density.
>   I'll have to try to work backwards from the tape length and
>   stated capacity(Argggh!!).  Do most new drives have density
>   codes not listed in the SCSI spec??  Hmm, this may be harder
>   than I thought...

According to my humble opinion, the NetBSD tape driver is in a state of bit
rot ("maintenance mode" in Apple diction).

The SCSI 2 tape density codes table is from 1987. SCSI 3 states that new
density codes need not be listed in the standards documents and gives a
table of "historical density codes" up to 0x2B.

	hauke