Subject: Re: Neighbour Discovery Bug?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1999 18:08:47
On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 01:44:27PM +0200, Feico Dillema wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 08:33:45PM +0200, Feico Dillema wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 03:24:02AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> > > 	I believe you meant 'unnumbered IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel" to say that
> > > 	"tunnel interface without global IPv6 address".  It can be configured
> > That's more or less what I meant, yep.
>
> Apologies for my inaccuracies in my initial report. I'm behind the offending
> machine again, and I tried to reproduce it. I'll try to give you all
> relevant information.
>
> what I see is:
>  - auto configuration works fine (both address and default route)
>  - ND seems ok, the other side is detected as it appears in routing table
>  - but ND cache doesn't get updated for gif0 (see below)

<snip>

> that's about all. I hoped the above would work, but it doesn't really.
> Maybe I'm trying to do something illegal, but then I'd like to know
> why... BTW, I notice that on pastaws0, the FreeBSD router, there's
> no route in the table for the autoconfiged IPv6 address at the
> other side of the tunnel.

I seem to have figured it out now. As ND doesn't work over tunnels (as confirmed
by itojun), the thing missing is a host route from the router end to the host end.
After a:

route add -inet6 -host 3ffe:2a00:100:3002:10:4bff:fea4:548c fe80:6::210:4bff:fe32:7df7

on the router end, `everything' (except ND) works. Of course, having to do this, kinda
defeats the point of autoconfiguration a bit as this route needs to be configured
manually. Ah well, I can wait till ND over tunnels gets fixed. A only have a few
tunnels running temporarily, but I can imagine for an ISP wanting to give its
clients IPv6 via tunneling (i.e. potentially lots) this is a real showstopper...

thanks for your feedback,

Feico.