Subject: Conner minicartridge tape drive - quirky drive
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/1999 12:28:44
I have a Conner minicartridge tape drive, recognized
on boot as a "Conner CTMS 3200 7.15".  It takes QIC3080
tapes and supposedly is capable of storing 2GB
(uncompressed) on each tape.

NetBSD doesn't seem to be able to figure out the
correct density, etc. at boot and simply lists the
tape drive as empty(when it really isn't).  I'm able
to "dump" to the tape drive if I use the "-B" flag
to tell it how much data the tapes hold.  Even so,
it seems to dump only about 400MB or less to tape
before it detects end-of-tape.

I'm guessing the drive doesn't entirely follow the
SCSI2 specs and needs some quirks added to our
quirk table.  Does anyone have any tips, hints, tricks,
or words of wisdom to impart to me before I tangle with
trying to get this drive to work like I think it should.

Steve B.
sbrown@best.com