Subject: Sendmail breakage with ELF? Postfix to the rescue!
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@Norway.EU.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/16/1999 07:38:04
After upgrading my SS2 from a -current from three or four months back
using the ELF snapshot (quick and easy; a smooth upgrade; thanks!),
the only problem I experienced was that the sendmail binary included
didn't work -- it just got a "Bus error", and terminated.  I didn't
worry too much, since I was planning to move to a current -current
using source code anyway.  However, after building the world from the
July 11th source tar balls, sendmail still behaves the same way.  The
point where it crashes is the snprintf() on line 515 of main.c:

	snprintf(ipbuf, sizeof ipbuf, "[%.100s]",
		inet_ntoa(*((struct in_addr *) hp->h_addr_list[i])));

Anyone else seeing this?

Incidentally, I took the opportunity to change from sendmail to
Postfix, and that was a really positive experience.  I fetched the
June 1st version of Postfix, unpacked it, ran 'make', copied the
binaries and configuration files into place, spent about 5 minutes
configuring it for my SMTP plus UUCP setup, and that was all -- it
just works.  The 'mailwrapper' feature of NetBSD helps, of course.

I notice that Wietse Venema has gotten IBM to change the licensing
recently -- maybe it's time to integrate Postfix in NetBSD again?
Quoting from the release notes from his June 27th snapshot:

	Postfix is now distributed under IBM Public License Version
	1.0 (June 14, 1999), which does not carry the controversial
	termination clause. The new license does have a requirement
	that contributors make source code available.

While I'm quoting Wietse, here's a gem from the documentation:

	Postfix takes the usual precautions to avoid loss of
	information: flush and fsync() all data before acknowledging
	receipt, and check all system call results for error
	conditions.  This style of programming may be new to some
	people, but I can assure you that it has been standard
	practice for years in many places.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"