Subject: Re: README: changes to the build system
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1999 10:26:05
> How about the other possibility -- U.S. people simply not working on
> crypto? I have already supported this in the past repeatedly.

As Jason has noted in the past, part of the value of open-source
software is that you can fix bugs or make enhancements and (if you do
a good job) get that work back into the shared maintenance pool.  US
users would have to sacrifice that benefit if we don't have a
crypto-us.

Keeping crypto-us also leaves the door open to putting stuff in
crypto-intl which can't legally be distributed or used in the US
(because of patent, generally).  Not that I particularly favor that
avenue, but it's good to have options.