Subject: Re: Caveat regarding switch to ELF and recent builds on i386...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1999 09:33:58
Mason Loring Bliss writes:

[...]
> This obviously was just a case of deleting the old stuff in /usr/sbin, but
> maybe knowing about it in advance will save someone some frustration if
> anyone else runs into this. <shrug> This would be especially annoying and
> pernicious for someone who makes use of any of these binaries in a script,
> using hard-coded paths.

This might not help, but I always do something like:
$ ls -l /bin | grep -v "Jul  7"  <-- what your day of build was.

This shows me immediately what files are "different", whether it means
they were rebuilt, or just moved, etc.  Then I investigate. :)
You could always do something like this also:
$ find /*bin /usr/*bin /usr/lib* -mtime -7 -type f
or...
$ find /*bin /usr/*bin /usr/lib* -type f \! -newer /usr/share/mk/bsd.sys.mk

Assuming that bsd.sys.mk is updated at the beginning of a 'make build',
which it is, unless you have MKSHARE=no.  Another file that could be checked
would be /usr/lib/libc.a.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.