Subject: Re: Promise Ultra33/66 PCI IDE controllers
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1999 10:35:45
On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 11:02:55AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > I poked around in the 1.4 sources.  I found an entry in the list
> > of known PCI devices but nothing to hook it up to a driver.  Not
> > too surprising since I didn't see it mentioned in the supported hardware
> > list.
> >
> > Did I miss something?  Anybody working on it?
> >
> > [I think the "Raid" part is bogus.  It's just an IDE controller.
> > It may use the Raid device type code for some PC related reason.]
>
> However, as they use a Raid identifiant instead of the PCI IDE one, I suspect
> this board is not conformant to the PCI IDE specs for other parts. Getting it
> working certainly requires a new driver.

No, it turns out that the Promise parts (at least the earlier 33 MB/sec ones)
just claim to be Raid instead of PCI IDE if some random pin is pulled high
on the PCB.  The part behaves exactly the same way, but it claims to be the
wrong kind of device.  This could have something to do with the fact that
Promise also sell IDE "RAID" cards that don't seem to have a whole lot of
other logic on them but _do_ require a special driver.. hmm.... :-)