Subject: wscons [was Re: page fault panic]
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/1999 12:12:09
Michael Graff wrote:

> Was this while shutting down the machine?

No, but on another i386-current computer as of yesterday computer something
strange does happen when shutting down the machine, but I don't know what,
as wscons doesn't seem to like it.. when it boots I do see green on black
messages, past

Jul  8 16:38:19 quartz /netbsd: vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: ATI Technologies Mach64 GW (rev. 0x7a)
Jul  8 16:38:19 quartz /netbsd: wsdisplay0 at vga0: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
Jul  8 16:38:19 quartz /netbsd: wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
Jul  8 16:38:19 quartz /netbsd: wsdisplay0: screen 2 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
then starts multiuser. wsconscfg complains about

wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device busy
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device busy
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Device busy
wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_SETKEYBOARD: Device busy

the only uncommented lines in wscons.conf being

screen  0       -       vt100
screen  1       -       vt100
screen  2       -       vt100
keyboard        auto

xdm starts, but none of the virtual terminals work, and, I don't get a
console on shutdown. Now, during the last few shutdowns, the computer
didn't reboot, but as no console was visible, I don't know what's up..
Did get an fsck on startup => something was amiss.

Cheers,

Patrick