Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.4: DHCP setup
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1999 10:40:37
> I just reread RFC 2131 (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), and
> I don't see where it specifies this?  It does say that the client
> identifier must be used to associate a particular lease with a
> particular client, but it doesn't say that additional information can't
> be used to determine what address to give a client (I think this would
> be an administrative issue).

Technically, I guess you're right.   I could use the host-name field
as another discriminator in find_lease(), and all that.   But why stop
there?   Why not allow any arbitrary option to be used as a client
identifier?   Also, how do I decide when to trust the hostname and
when to trust the client identifier?   One of the most common reasons
why people ask for this feature is that they want to get the same IP
address for their laptop regardless of what docking station they use,
or what ethernet card they use.   If I trust the client identifier
over the hostname, this scheme fails miserably.   Without being able
to support this capability, what you're really asking for is for me to
let you enter the primary information about a client in the DNS rather
than in the dhcpd.conf file.   You're also asking me to answer all the
questions that people generate when this completely fails to work!
:')

> But, I would see the ability to give
> a fixed-address based on a hostname to be a highly desirable feature.

That's why the client identifier should be user-settable.   That's why
it _is_ user-settable in the ISC DHCP client and (I think) the latest
OpenTransport client.   I've heard rumours that Microsoft may follow
suit, but seen no evidence of it so far.

			       _MelloN_