Subject: Re: NOTICE: i386 port switched to ELF binary format
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/1999 11:15:56
On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 21:55:40 +0900
 Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp> wrote:

 > Is there any way to use AOUT format?

You can continue to *use* the a.out format, but the toolchain isn't
configured to build a.out binaries anymore.

COMPAT_AOUT in your kernel allows you to put your a.out shlibs in
/emul/aout/... and all will be well.

 > How do I upgrade by compiling sources, without getting snapshot?

It's *really* tricky.  I did it exactly once, and had to hack on the
build system a bit to do it.  I don't even remember the exact procedure
anymore.

I *really* suggest using a snapshot.  If nothing else, build your kernel
yourself with the correct options, untar only the userland parts of the
snapshot, then rebuild your kernel.