Subject: Re: Night madness?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/1999 13:31:03
On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 04:11:03PM -0700, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> One system I have (an AMD K6/233 with a VIA motherboard) has an
> audible overtemperature alarm on it which somehow works even while
> NetBSD is running.
>
> I noticed this last summer when running the distributed.net rc5/des
> cracker on a very hot day.  The system was *very* hot; one
> contributing factor was a non-working power supply fan (bad bearings).

Hm... That's an interesting thought. The one difference between running
with setiathome and without is that my CPU should have been noticeably
hotter. Maybe this was the case... My CPU fan has been somewhat strained
lately, although still working. Maybe it wasn't pumping enough air, and
maybe my box has a similar temperature alarm.

Anyway, I've stripped the case off, replaced the CPU fan, and now additionally
have a room fan blowing into the box, so hopefully that'll keep the demons
away. <grin>

I suppose the next step would be immersing my motherboard in chilled mineral
oil. <http://www.accsdata.com/drffreeze/Dr%20Ffreeze.htm>

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.