Subject: Re: SCSI 2940UW problem
To: A.M. Raportirenko <ram@sunct1.jinr.dubna.su>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1999 05:17:17
   On Jul 2,  9:11, "A.M. Raportirenko" wrote:
   > Subject: Re: SCSI 2940UW problem
   > I have had the same problems with this compbinations (2940UW/34330W) some
   > times ago with 1.3.2. I simply slow down the controller speed to 20M/s(I
   > don't remebmer the exatct value). It works fine as ordinary SCSI.

Thanks Anatoly,

My friend also suggested me to check whether the mother
board enable the PCI_COMMAND_MASER_ENABLE, because some
mother boards don't enable it and he thought it might cause
this problem.

The reason of the problem might be a conflict between DMA
and cache, since the problem happens as a 32 bytes block.
It contains first 8 bytes twice, second 8 bytes and thirdd 8
bytes and loses fourth 8 bytes.  I'm not sure about it and I
won't check it, sorry.  So, this is just information about
the possibility.

Anyway, the problem is fixed by changing the mother board.
I used FIC VA-503+ (using MVP3 and having 1M cache), and it
made the problem.  I changed it to ABIT TX5, and it works
fine.  I'm not sure whether this is a general problem or
specific problem on my mother board.  This is also just
information.

Thanks,
-- Kazushi
Jesus Saves,