Subject: Re: ISO images for the FTP site?
To: Calvin Vette <cvette@borders.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1999 19:15:15
Calvin Vette <cvette@borders.com> wrote:

>What about putting a single-architecture bootable OS-install CD with binary
>packages (all binary CD), and a source CD (all source)? This would be the
>easiest for those who want to just to a quick install for their favorite
>platform,
>and not download irrelevant information. They can pick the CDs that are
>important.

I totally agree and that's one of the forms I offer the CDs in that I
create.  This seems to be the most useful (to me).  However, most of
these port-specific CDs are running between 450 and 650 Meg in size,
which gets us back to the problem of downloading an entire CD image in
one request.  So this doesn't exactly make for a "quick" download,
although it sure does help for doing a "quick" install. ;-)

Breaking them up into chunks can help tose who have connection time
limits, slow lines, etc. This is what some of the sites do with the Linux
(m68k and i386) CD images.

The script I use to create these CDs is available to anyone who wants it.
 The one part that I'd like to add is the boot information specific to
each of the ports.  I know how to do the i386 and can test it, but am at
a loss how to write the boot blocks for all the other ports.  If anyone
cares to enlighten me with information on their favorite port I'd be
grateful and I'll add it to the CDs I create.

thanks,
-bob