Subject: Re: ISO images for the FTP site?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1999 18:46:36
Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 02:57:38PM -0400, Andrew Gillham wrote:
>
>> This could be easily done via a script on ftp.netbsd.org, or somewhere
>> like that.
>
>Hm. I'd almost rather have a human test 'em before they're officially
>blessed,
>but either way... Maybe having a human-tested "full release" CD set and then
>automatically-generated -current CDs would be cool. <shrug> Some combination
>of currency (?) and stability would be ideal.
>
>> This would be a very nice feature.  I would prefer to see individual
>> ISO images by platform though, in addition to the "overall" CD image.
>
>Yeah. Ditto.
>
>I don't have access to the ftp server, but I can build an i386 image by hand
>at home if there's an FTPish dropbox somewhere.

I have a script that builds CD images for individual ports.  They include
the current release, source, and snapshots from the arch directory and a
copy of all the pre-build binary packages for the port.  The script is
also capable of building a set of CDs that cover all ports for the 1.4
release.  This is the same script I use for generating the CDs that are
offered on the NetBSD Web site by me.  I'd be happy to contribute the
script if anyone wants it, although it's written in c-shell.

On a side note, I'm not sure how useful it is to have the ISO images
available for download on the FTP Server.  It's only practical for those
with hi-speed access and use of a CD Writer since dial-up users (even at
56k) would take forever to download even one image.

-bob