Subject: Re: /etc/rc with #!/bin/sh ?
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1999 00:58:54
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, David Maxwell wrote:

# I guess the primary retort is that I sometimes find occassion to run
# /etc/rc by hand from time to time. Also, anyone who knows what the file
# command does, probably knows what type of file /etc/rc is.

Also, /sbin/init (I keep wanting to type /etc/init -- don'tcha just love
legacy systems?) explicitly calls
	execv(_PATH_BSHELL, ("sh", "/etc/rc", autoboot? "autoboot": 0, 0));

[never mind the syntactical errors :-)]

That seems à propos.  I thought file(1)'s output was cute given that
little string at the top of the file.

Does our file(1) need a better algorithm, or would that be nuts given that
there are quite a few shell scripts with enough filler in comments
to force it to rely on the #! line?  (probably this is the case).

				--*greywolf;