Subject: Re: better w(1)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/1999 14:58:54
>>>>> "matthew" == matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

matthew> i installed this a few weeks ago and it's great.  it looks
matthew> exactly like our w(1) except that it ignores utmp and uses
matthew> the process list to find out who is doing what on which tty!
matthew> most excellent.

Cool.  But there's definitely a reason that these programs (xterm,
screen, etc.) allow users to not create utmp entries.  If I'm running
12 xterms, and you type w, you probably don't want to see me 12 times.

It seems to me that it would work well to have w(1) default to its
current behavior, with a command-line option to get the complete list.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu